PRAY, DONATE, VOLUNTEER
Pray for the individuals and families affected in this flood. The Lord is our light and our salvation, so why should we fear? The Lord protects us from danger, so why should we tremble? It is assuring to know that our lives are hidden in the Lord!
A financial contribution to a recognized disaster relief organization is the most effective donation to make. When the public supports these voluntary organizations with financial contributions, it helps ensure a steady flow of important services to the people in need after a disaster.
- Most needed and the most efficient way of helping those impacted by disaster.
- Allow voluntary organizations to fund response and recovery efforts, obtain goods and services locally, and provide direct financial assistance to disaster survivors to meet their own needs.
- Make financial contribution through a trusted organization of your choice.
- Donate in-kind goods that are specifically requested or needed by recognized organizations.
- One such Organization could be UCC Disaster Relief
Other organizations you could consider:
- Opportunity Special School, Vepery, Chennai – 600 007
To send gifts or donations please call 044 2532 2085 and ask for Miss. Kasthuri Devaraj – Correspondent or
Mrs. Amali Vincent – Headmistress. email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- AMAITHI ILLAM Kolathur, Chennai-600 099
Home to around 60 orphan kids and they need your help to overcome calamities of flood and your contribution help them to get
medical and shelter needs. You could send your cheques / DD in favour of Amaithi Illam (or) wise transfer to the account of Amaithi Illam. Canara Bank, Royapettah, Chennai – A/c. No.14615
Volunteer with a recognized organization involved in the flood relief.
- Volunteer with a non-profit organization and be trained.
- There are many organizations and faith-based groups in Chennai and Cuddalore area that have active disaster programs and need volunteers
- Affiliate with existing non-profit organizations before going to the disaster area.
- Be safe– Wait until it is safe to travel to volunteer sites and opportunities have been identified. Once assigned a position, make sure you have been given an assignment and are wearing proper safety gear for the task.
- Be patient– Recovery lasts a lot longer than TV and other media attention. There will be volunteer needs for many months, often years, after the disaster – especially when the community enters the long-term recovery period.